WHAT’S OUR EQUIVALENT of the buddy trip, and what makes a great golf resort for women? That was the question that faced a panel of women golf travel experts assembled to select the Top 10 U.S. Golf Resorts for Women.
You can see the results of their selections (with input from the Women’s Golf Alliance) in the Summer 2015 issue of GottaGoGolf Magazine. They took the task seriously and put forth their philosophies. Among them:
- In my opinion, the list will be more interesting if there is a diversity of geographical locations represented and price diversity, so they are not all expensive five-star resorts.
- As I think about the list criteria, I find myself thinking “female-friendly golf courses and experiences, nice on-site amenities” — pools, spas, services – but I also think of nightlife or nearby shopping.
- I believe Kiawah Island should be off the lists completely; it is being sued by the Southern Poverty Law Center, representing the underpaid Jamaican workers. … I would not feel right having Kiawah Island on any list at this time.
- My choices were based on appeal, as well as the total package value for one on a fixed budget.
- I believe strongly that at least two sets of tees must be rated for women (validating that some women are really good golfers!).
OUR PANEL GAVE STRONG CONSIDERATION TO GOLF RESORTS WITH WOMEN ON STAFF, WITH WOMEN-SPECIFIC SCHOOLS OR PROGRAMS, AND WITH A HISTORY OF HOSTING CHAMPIONSHIPS FOR WOMEN.
The final list is guaranteed to make you want to “Get out and GOLF,” the theme of that Summer issue. But in the meantime, could you tell us, what is most important to you in selecting a golf getaway? Please take the poll: